In its sixth year, this staged-race is held on the Atherton Tablelands and finishes in Cairns.
Date: Friday – Sunday, 7th to 9th July 2017
Event Organiser: Dynamic Running Ltd.
Race Director: Lorraine Lawson
Mobile: 0417 798 444
The Tailwind Nutrition 3M3D event consists of three different races, all run over the same course, but varying in distance:
- 3 Marathons in 3 Days (3M3D) (126.6km), 7-9 July 2017. In its sixth year. 42.2km run over three consecutive days.
- Kauri Half Marathon (21.1km), 7 July 2017. The first half of Marathon 1 of the 3M3D race.
- Cairns Marathon (42.2km), 9 July 2017 (from Cedar Park Rainforest Resort). same course as Marathon 3 of the 3M3D race.
You can opt to do one, two or all three days of the 3M3D race (cost the same regardless).
You can opt to do he Kauri Half and the Cairns Marathon – contact the event director on info@3marathonsin3days,com for details on how to do this.
The information here describes details on the 3 Marathons in 3 Days (3M3D) race.
Condition of entry: 18 years or older on race day. Returning competitor or a sub-4h30min road marathon time. You can use other events as qualifiers too. Record information of these races on your registration for consideration. The decision to approve registrations is at the race director’s discretion.
Your entry fee includes:
- Race fees for the selected event
- Race singlet (for all competitors who registered before 1 June 2017)
- Bus trip from Cairns Colonial Club Resort to and from race each day
- Personalised race bib (unless you are a late entrant)
- Finisher’s medal each day and 3M3D medal if you finish all three
- Training runs over the course
- Basic first aid
- Refreshments after each race
- A fun, safe and professional activity
- Public liability insurance.
- Race bib to be worn on your front and visible at all times (supplied by event organiser)
- 2 x Elastoplast or Handy’s heavy crepe bandages (10cmx2.3m) for Marathons 1 and 2. DON’T turn up with anything else, you will not be allowed to compete without the correct gear. Highly recommended for Marathon 3.
- 1 x whistle
- 1 x set of maps and course descriptions in zip lock bag (provided by event organiser)
- A hydration system with a capacity of at least 600mL – more if you are not used to running in the tropics
- Nutrition to sustain running for each stage of the event.
You can buy an ‘Emergency Pack’ that contains 2 compression bandages and a whistle for $30 when you register.
There is a gear check at registration and at each checkpoint.
Race Kit: There is no race kit to be collected, only a race bib at registration each morning (note there is a different bib for each day).
Pre and post activities: Pasta Party ($30), Thursday, 6 July 2017. After Party, Sunday, 9 July 2017 at Cairns Colonial Club.
Bus transport: This is included in your race fee*. The bus leaves and returns from Cairns Colonial Club Resort each day. There are no other bus pick up locations. (* except for Dynamic Running club members who must pay extra if they want to catch the bus).
Start locations: Marathon 1, 8 July, Coondoo Street in Kuranda, adjacent to the Kuranda Visitor Information Center. Marathons 2 and 3, 8 and 9 July, at Cedar Park Rainforest Resort (turn left 1km past Koah Roadhouse off the Kennedy Highway).
Finish locations: Marathon 1 and 2: Cedar Park Rainforest Resort, Koah; Marathon 3: Goomoboora Park, Redlynch Valley, Cairns.
Registration: 6:00-6:15am each morning.
Mandatory race briefing: This is online and must be viewed by all competitors PRIOR to the event. There will only be a brief mention of safety precautions and race conditions each race day. All competitors are expected to have read and understood the race rules, course, etc. A link to the briefing will be provided closer to race day.
Start of Race: 6:30am.
Estimated race finishing times: The race record was broken in 2016 by Om Beacom Halliday in a time of 10:50:10; Maggie Jones broke the record for the females in 2015 in a time of 12:37:38. The slower runners take up to 23 hours (8 hours for Marathons 1 and 2 and 7 hours for Marathon 3).
Merchandise: A race singlet is included in your entry fee. You can opt to upgrade to the Ultra Race Shirt for a fee of $45.00, and forfit the singlet. Or you can order an Ultra Race Shirt with full zip & back pockets ($70) or a t-shirt ($25). Merchandise will be handed out at the Pasta Party or at registration on race day.
Terrain: Single track, dirt roads, bitumen, shallow creek crossings. Steep ascent and descent sections.
Water is provided approximately every 5km. There are no cups on the course. There is no water provided for about 10km on Marathon 1 (through the Barron Gorge section from 10km to 20km mark) and for 10km on Marathon 2 (along Bridle Creek Road from about 17km to 27km). You must carry your own. There are shallow creek crossings along the course, if you intend on filling up at these, you will need to supply your own preferred water purification system.
Refreshments: Water, buns and fruit will be available at the finish each day.
Toilets: There are public toilets at the start and at Speewah campground on Marathon 1. There is a port-a-loo at the Cedar Park Rainforest Resort. There are public toilets at Copperlode Dam and at the finish at Goomboora Park on Marathon 3, the Cairns Marathon.
- If another competitor is in trouble, you must stop to help them.
- DO NOT LITTER.
- It is your responsibility to get your name ticked off at all designated checkpoints.
- No roads are closed for this event. Obey all road rules and give way to all other traffic.
- Headphones are not allowed.
- Pets/Dogs anywhere along the course are prohibited.
- Study the maps and read the course descriptions PRIOR to race day.
- Stay on the marked course. Short cuts are not permitted. If you think course markers are missing or you have gone the wrong way, check your map, wait for another competitor or go back.
- Mobile coverage over the course is limited.
Volunteers: Know someone that can help out? Let us know on
Photos can be accessed free of charge from the 3 Marathons in 3 Days Facebook page.
The race results will be published on the 3 Marathons in 3 Days and Dynamic Running websites, and in The Cairns Post in the week following the event.
Other Useful Information
Be happy and smile a lot. Make new friends.
Race Fees, Age Restrictions, Entry Dates and Refund Date Cut Off
|Race & Date||Cut off dates:||Early Bird||Standard||Late Entry|
|9.00pm, 3/4/2017||9.00pm, 15/6/16||Registrations close
at 9.01pm, 29/6/16
|3M3D (18+ only),
Fri-Sun, 07-09 July
|Dynamic Running club member||$150.00||$150.00||$300.00|
No refunds after 9/00pm, 7/6/17
Late entrants will not be allocated personalised race bibs. Singlets are included for competitors who register before 1 June 2017.