In its seventh year, this event is held on the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland.
Registrations open 11 November 2017
Registrations close 27 June 2018 (Grand slam) or 4 July 2018 (Cairns Marathon, Kauri Half Marathon, 16km Lake Morris Race)
Register here: https://regonline.activeglobal.com/3M3D2018
Date: Friday – Sunday, 13-15 July 2018 then 12-14 July 2019
Length: 16km to 126.6km
Event Organiser: Dynamic Running Ltd.
Race Director: Lorraine Lawson
Mobile: 0417 798 444
The Tailwind Nutrition 3 Marathons in 3 Days event has many entry options, all run over the same course, but varying in distance and days:
• GRAND SLAM 3M3D (126.6km), 13-15 July 2018. In its seventh year. A marathon is run each day over three consecutive days. Competitors can opt to compete in only one or two of the marathons, but the ‘Grand Slam’ medal goes only to those who complete all three marathons. NOTE: Entry fee for Marathon 1 and or Marathon 2 is the same as for the Grand Slam event.
• Cairns Marathon (42.2km), 15 July 2018. In its seventh year, the Cairns Marathon is the same course as Marathon 3 of the 3M3D event.
• Kauri Half Marathon (21.1km), 13 July 2018. In its 4th year, this race is the same course as the first half of Marathon 1.
• NEW! Lake Morris (16km), 15 July 2018. This is the last 16km of the Cairns Marathon course. – Details to follow in 2018.
Conditions of entry
• 18 years or older on race day for the marathons
• 16 years or older for the 21.1km or 16km races.
• Entry into the Grand Slam race: Returning competitor or a sub-5 hour road marathon time. You can use other events as qualifiers too.
• Record information of these races on your registration for consideration.
• No qualifying times required if you opt for anything shorter than the Grand Slam.
The decision to approve registrations is at the race director’s discretion.
Your entry fee includes
• Race fees for the selected race
• Race singlet for 3M3D and Cairns Marathon (for anyone who registers on or before 23 May)
• Personalised race bib (or anyone who registers on or before 13 June)
• Finisher’s medal each day, and 3M3D medal if you finish the Grand Slam (if applicable)
• Training runs over the course
• Basic first aid
• Refreshments after each race
• A fun, safe and professional activity
• Public liability insurance
Optional items you can purchase with your entry
• Seat on the bus
• Extra seats on the bus
• Pasta party on 12 July 2018
• Ultra shirt for the Grand Slam 3M3D race (for anyone who registers on or before 23 May)
• Singlet for the Kauri Half Marathon (for anyone who registers on or before 23 May)
• T shirt (for anyone who registers on or before 13 June)
• Race bib to be worn on your front and visible at all times (supplied by event organiser)
• 2 x Elastoplast or Handy’s heavy crepe bandages (10cmx2.3m) for Marathon 1, Kauri Half Marathon and Marathon 2. DON’T turn up with anything else, you will not be allowed to compete without the correct gear. The bandages are highly recommended for the races on Sunday as well.
• 1 x whistle
• 1 x set of maps and course descriptions in zip lock bag (provided by event organiser)
• A hydration system with a capacity of at least 1L – more if you are not used to running in the tropics
• Nutrition to sustain running for each stage of the event
You can buy an ‘Emergency Pack’ that contains 2 compression bandages and a whistle for $30 when you register.
There is a gear check at registration and at selected checkpoints.
There is no race kit to be collected, only a race bib and map at registration each morning (note there is a different bib for each day).
Pre and post activities
Pasta Party ($30), Thursday, 12 July 2018. Presentations and After Party, Sunday, 15 July 2018 at Cairns Colonial Club.
Book a seat on the bus! Other transport options are expensive and difficult to sort out with point to point races on the Friday and Sunday. The bus leaves and returns from Cairns Colonial Club Resort each day. There are no other bus pick up locations.
Marathon 1/Kauri Half Marathon, 13 July, Coondoo Street in Kuranda, adjacent to the Kuranda Visitor Information Center.
Marathons 2 and 3/Cairns Marathon, 14 and 15 July, at Cedar Park Rainforest Resort (turn left 1km past Koah Roadhouse off the Kennedy Highway).
Lake Morris Race, 15 July, Lake Morris Kiosk, Lake Morris Road.
6:00-6.15am each morning.
Start of Race
6:30am each day. There are no early starters.
Mandatory race briefing
This is online and must be viewed by all competitors PRIOR to the event at https://youtu.be/vOJCRTQf96U There will only be a brief mention of safety precautions and race conditions each race day. All competitors are expected to have read and understood the race rules, course, etc.
- Marathon 1 and 2: Cedar Park Rainforest Resort, Koah;
- Kauri Half Marathon: Speewah Campground.
- Marathon 3/Cairns Marathon/Lake Morris Race: Goomoboora Park, Redlynch Valley, Cairns.
Estimated race finishing times fo 3M3D
The race record for the Grand Slam event is held by Om Beacom Halliday (10:50:10, 2016); Maggie Jones holds the female record (12:37:38, 2015). The slower runners take up to 23 hours (8 hours for Marathons 1 and 2 and 7 hours for Marathon 3).
A race singlet is included in the race fee of the 3M3D and Cairns Marathon entry fees. You can also order (or upgrade your 3M3D singlet) to Ultra race shirt with full zip and back pockets. Merchandise will be handed out at the Pasta Party or at registration on race day.
HILLS. Single track, dirt roads, bitumen, shallow creek crossings. Steep ascent and descent sections.
Water is provided approximately every 5km. There are no cups on the course. There is no water provided for about 10km on Marathon 1 (through the Barron Gorge section from the 10km to 20km mark) and for 10km on Marathon 2 (along Bridle Creek Road from about 17km to 27km). You must carry your own water. There are shallow creek crossings along the course, if you intend on filling up at these, you will need to supply your own preferred water purification system.
Checkpoints will have a few snacks, water and Tailwind, but it is the responsiblity of each competitor to provide nutrition for the duration of their event.
Water, fruit and Tailwind will be available at the finish each day. Snacks and coffee can be purchased from Cedar Park Rainforest Resort on Friday and Saturday, and from Elva’s Café on Sunday.
There are public toilets at the start and at Speewah campground on Marathon 1. There are port-a-loos at the Cedar Park Rainforest Resort. There are public toilets at Copperlode Dam and at the finish at Goomboora Park on the Sunday.
• If another competitor is in trouble, you must stop to help them.
• DO NOT LITTER.
• It is your responsibility to get your name ticked off at all checkpoints.
• No roads are closed for this event. Obey all road rules and give way to all other traffic.
• Earphones are not allowed.
• Pets/Dogs anywhere along the course are prohibited.
• Study the maps and read the course descriptions PRIOR to race day.
• Stay on the marked course. Short cuts are not permitted. If you think course markers are missing or you have gone the wrong way, check your map, wait for another competitor or go back.
• Mobile coverage over the course is limited.
Read over all the event rules.
Know someone that can help out? Register here: https://vmodcui.active.com/volunteer/jobs?eventGroupId=584703
Photos can be accessed free of charge from the 3 Marathons in 3 Days Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/3marathonsin3days/
The race results will be published on the 3 Marathons in 3 Days and Dynamic Running websites, and in The Cairns Post in the week following the event.