In its sixth year, the Cairns Marathon 2017 race is held on the Atherton Tablelands and finishes in Cairns.
Date: Sunday, 9 July 2017
Event Organiser: Dynamic Running Ltd.
Race Director: Lorraine Lawson
Mobile: 0417 798 444
- The 3M3D event consists of three different races, all run over the same course, but varying in distance:
- 3 Marathons in 3 Days (3M3D) (126.6km), 7-9 July 2017. In its sixth year. 42.2km run over three consecutive days.
- Kauri Half Marathon (21.1km), 7 July 2017. The first half of Marathon 1 of the 3M3D event.
- Cairns Marathon (42.2km), 9 July 2017 (from Cedar Park Rainforest Resort). Day 3 of the 3M3D
The information here describes details on the Cairns Marathon race.
Condition of entry: 18 years or older on race day. The decision to approve registrations is at the race director’s discretion.
Your entry fee includes:
- Race fees for the selected race
- Race singlet (for everyone who register before 1 June 2017)
- Bus trip from Cairns Colonial Club Resort to and from race each day
- Personalised race bib (unless you are a late entrant)
- Finisher’s medal each day and 3M3D medal if you finish all three
- Training runs over the course
- Basic first aid
- Refreshments after each race
- A fun, safe and professional activity
- Public liability insurance.
- Race bib to be worn on your front and visible at all times (supplied by event organiser)
- 1 x set of maps and course description in zip lock bag (provided by event organiser)
- A hydration system with a capacity of at least 600mL – more if you are not used to running in the tropics
- Nutrition to sustain running during the event
Highly recommended gear: 2 x Elastoplast or Handy’s heavy crepe bandages (10cmx2.3m) and a whistle.
You can buy an ‘Emergency Pack’ that contains 2 compression bandages and a whistle for $30 when you register.
Race Kit: There is no race kit to be collected, only a race bib at registration.
Pre and post activities: Pasta Party ($30), Thursday, 6 July 2017. After Party, Sunday, 9 July 2017 at Cairns Colonial Club Resort.
Bus transport: This is included in your race fee*. The bus leaves and returns from Cairns Colonial Club Resort. There are no other bus pick up locations. (* except for Dynamic Running club members who must pay extra if they want to catch the bus).
Start location: Cedar Park Rainforest Resort (turn left 1km past Koah Roadhouse off the Kennedy Highway).
Finish location: Goomoboora Park, Redlynch Valley, Cairns.
Mandatory race briefing: This is online and must be viewed by all competitors PRIOR to the event. There will only be a brief mention of safety precautions and race conditions on race day. All competitors are expected to have read and understood the race rules, course, etc. A link to the briefing will be provided closer to race day.
Start of Race: 6:30am.
Estimated race finishing times: The race record was broken in 2016 by Bryan O’Mahony in a time of 3:18:02. Julie Quinn (2013) holds the female record in a time of 3:43:50. The slower runners take up to 6 hours 30 minutes.
Merchandise: A race singlet is included in your entry fee. You can also order a t-shirt. Merchandise will be handed out at the Pasta Party or at registration on race day.
Terrain: Dirt roads, bitumen, shallow creek crossings. Steep descent section.
Water is provided approximately every 5km. There are no cups on the course. There are shallow creek crossings along the course, if you intend on filling up at these, you will need to supply your own preferred water purification system.
Refreshments: Water, buns and fruit will be available at the finish.
Toilets: There is a port-a-loo at the Cedar Park Rainforest Resort. There are public toilets at Copperlode Dam and at the finish at Goomboora Park.
- If another competitor is in trouble, you must stop to help them.
- DO NOT LITTER.
- It is your responsibility to get your name ticked off at all designated checkpoints.
- No roads are closed for this event. Obey all road rules and give way to all other traffic.
- Headphones are not allowed.
- Pets/Dogs anywhere along the course are prohibited.
- Study the maps and read the course descriptions PRIOR to race day.
- Stay on the marked course. Short cuts are not permitted. If you think course markers are missing or you have gone the wrong way, check your map, wait for another competitor or go back.
- Mobile coverage over the course is limited.
Volunteers: Know someone that can help out? Let us know on
Photos can be accessed free of charge from the 3 Marathons in 3 Days Facebook page.
The race results will be published on the 3 Marathons in 3 Days and Dynamic Running websites, and in The Cairns Post in the week following the event.
Other Useful Information
Be happy and smile a lot. Make new friends.
Race Fees, Age Restrictions, Entry Dates and Refund Date Cut Off
|Race & Date||
Cut off dates :
|Cairns Marathon (18+ only)
Sunday, 09 July
|Dynamic Running club member||$50.00||$50.00||$90.00|
No refunds after 9.00pm, 7/6/17
Late entrants will not be allocated personalised race bibs. Singlets are included for competitors who register before 1 June 2017.