Race Founder, Larry Lawson, claims that this ultra-marathon came about ‘by accident’, as there was a ‘Run A Marathon in Three Days’ event on the race calendar in Cairns in 2012, but Larry said ‘I’ll do Three Marathons in Three Days’, and soon he had enlisted other runners to join him. It is a popular event for those clocking up their marathons, and ultra-runners who want to try a multi-day event.
Kuranda to Cedar Park (Koah area) to Cairns, Tropical North Queensland, Australia.
8-10 July 2022. The inaugural race was held in 2012*.
The 3 Marathons in 3 Days event has many entry options, all run over the same course, but varying in distance and days:
- 3M3D GRAND SLAM (126.6km). A marathon is run each day over three consecutive days. Competitors can opt to compete in only one or two of the marathons, but the ‘Grand Slam’ medal goes only to those who complete all three marathons.
- Cairns Marathon (42.2km). The Cairns Marathon is the same course as Marathon 3 of the 3M3D event.
- Fig Tree Half Marathon or 10km (21.1km or 10km).
- Lake Morris Road Race (16km) follows the same course as the last 16km of the Cairns Marathon.
Male: New course (as of 2021): Joshua Duff (2021) 12:22:06
Original course: Om Beacom-Halliday (2016) 10:50:10
Female: New course (as of 2021): Sonja Schonfeldt-Roy (2021) 14:05:35
Original course: Maggie Jones (2015) 12:37:38.
The slower runners take up to 28 hours (10 hours for Marathons 1 and 2 and 8 hours for Marathon 3).
* The race organiser since 2014 is Dynamic Running Ltd. Race organiser in 2012 and 2013 was Cairns Road Runners and Triathlon Club Inc.