In its twelfth year, this event is held on the Atherton Tablelands, Queensland and finishes in Cairns on the Sunday. It is mostly trails, but there is some road running too.
The Tailwind Nutrition 3 Marathons in 3 Days event has many race options. Select from the following.
3M3D GRAND SLAM (126.6km), 7-9 July 2023. In its twelfth year. A marathon is run each day over three consecutive days. There are three different courses. Competitors can opt to compete in only one or two of the marathons, but the ‘Grand Slam’ medal goes only to those who complete all three marathons.
Cairns Marathon (42.2km), 9 July 2023. In its twelfth year, the Cairns Marathon is the same course as Marathon 3 of the 3M3D Grand Slam.
Fig Tree Half Marathon, 8 July 2023. This is the third year of this event and is on the same course as the first 11km of Marathon 2 of the 3M3D Grand Slam.
Lake Morris Road Race (16km), 9 July 2023. In its fourth year, the Lake Morris Road Race follows the same 16km as late 16km of Marathon 3 of the 3M3D Grand Slam.
You may do a combination of the above events.
Conditions of entry
- 18 years or older on race day for the marathons
- 16 years or older for the Fig Tree Half Marathon
- 14 years or older for the Lake Morris Road Race
Entry into the Grand Slam race: Returning competitor or a sub-5 1/2 hour road marathon time. You can use other events as qualifiers too. Record information of these races on your registration for consideration.
No qualifying times required if you opt for anything shorter than the Grand Slam.
The decision to approve registrations is at the race director’s discretion.
Your entry fee includes
• Race fees for the selected race
• 3M3D Grand Slam training shirt (until stock runs out)
• Personalised race bib (or anyone who registers by 15 June 2023)
• Finisher’s medal each race, and 3M3D medal if you finish the Grand Slam (if applicable)
• Training runs over the course
• Basic first aid
• Refreshments after each race
• A fun, safe and professional activity
• Public liability insurance
Optional items you can purchase with your entry
• Seat on the bus
• Buffet Dinner on 6 July 2023
• Ultra shirt for the Grand Slam 3M3D race (for anyone who registers on or before 24 May 2023)
• Singlet for all races (other than the Grand Slam) (for anyone who registers on or before 24 May 2023)
• T shirt/cap/towel (for anyone who registers on or before 24 May 2023)
There is no race kit to be collected, only a race bib and map at registration each morning (note there is a different bib for each day). Those who qualify for the 3M3D Grand Slam training shirt, will receive that in the mail, or can pick up.
• Race bib to be worn on your front and visible at all times (supplied by event organiser)
• 1 x AERO Snake bandages (10cmx10.5m) or 2 x Elastoplast or Handy’s heavy crepe bandages (10cmx2.3m) for Marathon 1, Fig Tree Half Marathon and Marathon 2. DON’T turn up with anything else, or email us with requests to use alternatives. You will not be allowed to compete without the correct gear. The bandages are highly recommended for all the races.
• 1 x whistle
• 1 x set of maps and course descriptions in zip lock bag (provided by event organiser)
• A hydration system with a capacity of at least 2L – more if you are not used to running in the tropics
• Nutrition to sustain running for each stage of the event
You can buy an ‘Emergency Pack’ that contains 2 compression bandages and a whistle for $20 when you register.
There is a gear check at registration and at selected checkpoints.
Pre and post activities
Buffet Dinner ($45), Thursday, 7 July 2023. Venue: Cairns Sheridan Hotel, 295 Sheridan Street, Cairns.
Presentations and After Party, Sunday, 9 July 2023 at Edge Hill Bowls Club, 181 Woodward Street, Edge Hill.
Book a seat on the bus! Other transport options are expensive and difficult to sort out with point to point races on the Friday and Sunday. The bus leaves from Redlynch Shopping Centre on Friday and from Goomboora Park on Sunday. Visitors into town must contact the event organisers to arrange pick up in town.
Marathon 1, Friday 7July. Wright’s Lookout, Wright’s Lookout Road, Kuranda.
Marathon 2/ Fig Tree Half Marathon, Saturday 8 July. Copperlode Dam kiosk, Lake Morris Road.
Marathon 3/Cairns Marathon, Sunday 9 July. Corner Clohesy River Road and Cedar Park Road (turn left onto Clohesy River Road 1km past Koah Roadhouse off the Kennedy Highway if coming from Cairns).
Lake Morris Road Race, Sun 9 July. Copperlode Dam kiosk, Lake Morris Road. NOTE. Lake Morris Road is CLOSED to vehicle traffic on race day, you must use the transport provided by the event organisers.
Check in / Registration
6:00-6.15am each morning each morning at the start line, except for the Lake Morris Road Race – check in is at Goomboora Park at 8.00am.
Start of Race
- 3M3D 6.30am (Early starters. 6.00am – you must have a head torch)
- Fig Tree Half Marathon 7.30am
- Fig Tree 10km 9.00am
- Cairns Marathon 6.30am
- Lake Morris Road Race 9.00am
Mandatory race briefing
This is online and must be viewed by all competitors PRIOR to the event . Links will be sent out closer to race weekend. There will only be a brief mention of safety precautions and race conditions each race day. All competitors are expected to have read and understood the race rules, course, etc.
- Marathon 1, Crystal Cascades: Redlynch Intake Rd, Redlynch, Cairns
- Marathon 2/Fig Tree Half Marathon: Lake Morris Kiosk, Copperlode Dam, Lake Morris Road, Cairns.
- Marathon 3/Cairns Marathon/Lake Morris Road Race: Goomoboora Park, Redlynch Valley, Cairns.
Estimated race finishing times for 3M3D
There was a change in the courses for Marathon 1 and Marathon 2 in 2020. Both days are now HARDER and takes longer compared to the original courses.
3M3D Grand Slam: Joshua Duff (2021) 12:22:06. The record over the original course belongs to Om Beacom-Halliday 10:50:10, 2016.
Marathon 1: 2021 Joshua Duff 4:26:43
Marathon 2: 2021 Joshua Duff 4:18:43
Marathon 3: 2016 Om Beacom-Halliday 3:19:52
3M3D Grand Slam: Sonja Schonfeldt-Roy (2021) 14:05:35. The record over the original course belongs to Maggie Jones 12.37.38, 2015.
Marathon 1: 2021 Sonja Schonfeldt-Roy 5:12:11
Marathon 2: 2021 Sonja Schonfeldt-Roy 4:53:12
Marathon 3: 2017 Katherine Macmillan 3:43:48
The slower runners take up to 23 hours (10 hours for Marathons 1 and 2 and 8 hours for Marathon 3).
Competitors can order and pay for merchandise (singlet, t-shirt, cap, towel) during registration. 3M3D Grand Slammers can also order an ultra-race shirt with full zip and back pockets. Merchandise will be handed out at the Pre-race dinner or at registration on race day.
Single track, dirt roads, bitumen, shallow creek crossings. Steep ascent and descent sections. Refer to the Race descriptions later in this document for more details.
There are no cups on the course or at checkpoints. There is no water from 1-15km or 22-28km marks on Marathon 1. There is no water provided after leaving the Bridle Creek Road checkpoint the second time on Marathon 2. You must carry your own water. There are shallow creek crossings along the course (except on Lake Morris Road). If you intend on filling up at these, you will need to supply your own preferred water purification system.
Checkpoints and the finish line will have a few snacks and water, but it is the responsibility of each competitor to provide nutrition for the duration and after their event. You also need to have your own cup.
There are public toilets at the finish at Crystal Cascades for Marathon 1, at Copperlode Dam and at the finish at Goomboora Park on the Sunday.
Mobile Phone Coverage
Limited, or not available. Telstra is your best service provider in this area.
• If another competitor is in trouble, you must stop to help them.
• DO NOT LITTER.
• It is your responsibility to get your name ticked off at all checkpoints.
• Obey all road rules and give way to all other traffic.
• Lake Morris Road is closed on Sun 9 July 2023
• Earphones must be used with extreme caution. You MUST be able to hear ALL instructions from course marshals and also need to listen out for anyone that may be in distress.
• Pets/Dogs anywhere along the course are prohibited.
• Study the maps and read the course descriptions PRIOR to race day.
• Stay on the marked course. Short cuts are not permitted. If you think course markers are missing or you have gone the wrong way, check your map, wait for another competitor or go back.
• Mobile coverage over the course is limited.
Read over all the event rules sent to you in the competitors information pack.
Photos can be accessed free of charge from the 3 Marathons in 3 Days Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/3marathonsin3days/
The race results will be published on the 3 Marathons in 3 Days and Dynamic Running websites in the week following the event.